Transport Manager – Head Office
Top Oil has a vacancy for a Transport Manager. The position is based in our Head Office in EastPoint Business Park in Dublin 3. If you have great people management skills, are self-motivated, a team player, flexible and willing to go the extra mile while effectively managing your team in a fast paced customer focused environment and are looking for an opportunity to further your career, please apply!
We are a family-owned Irish oil company, dedicated to serving our customers across Ireland. We provide a true end-to-end solution, this means delivering quality from our tank to yours whether in industry, businesses, farms, homes or in your vehicle.
The bedrock of our success is our committed team. People are our passion, this ranges from the people we work with, our customers and those we look forward to serving in the future. We pride ourselves on being personable and on building long term relationships that last. Our DNA lies in the communities we have grown from over the past 200 years, from cities to rural heartlands. It is those communities that are important to us. We are driven each day to offer our customers more than just a product, we offer an experience and a brand that you can trust. For more information visit our linkedin page here
Title: Transport Manager
Reporting to: Business Operations Manager
Primary Purpose of the Role: To manage the distribution team to ensure site replenishment is managed in a safe, efficient and cost effective manner. To lead and co-ordinate direct reports to maintain service levels & agreed performance KPI’s. Continuously look to improve efficiencies and payloads across the fleet.
Health, Safety and Quality
Maintenance of Top Oil’s Health, Safety and Quality standards informs everything you do.
- Ensure adherence to legal and internal Health and Safety standard requirements
- Reporting, investigation, and appropriate escalation of relevant incidents
- Membership of and contributions to the Top Oil Health and Safety Team
- Maintain the Top Oil brand appropriately in Distribution activities
- Manage the planning and scheduling of loads to company owned locations and customer sites for multi-drop deliveries
- Scheduling deliveries and liaising directly with customers
- Allocating resources with the haulage contractor to ensure efficient distribution of product
- Ensuring all partners in the supply chain are working effectively and efficiently to ensure smooth operations
- Communicating effectively with customers and dealing with any queries as they arise
- Ensure that appropriate resources are in place to ensure that all orders are routed efficiently and within agreed timeframes
- Managing all daily transportation activities throughout the network
- Sign off of monthly haulage invoice ensuring all costs are managed and in line with agreed rates
- Create policies or procedures for transport activities
- Resolve problems concerning transportation, logistics systems or customer issues
- Management of the distribution team including recruitment, training and performance management
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with the Regional sales teams, internal departments and haulage contractors
- Working as part of the distribution team to fulfill all orders received
- Fostering an engaged culture where staff feel that they are part of a team and that their efforts on behalf of the company are appreciated
- Developing an atmosphere where the staff feel comfortable in approaching you about concerns or ideas or suggestions that they may have
- Identifying training needs, delivering training where appropriate or ensure that staff are booked onto company training programmes
- Holding check in meeting with your staff regularly
- Adhering to company HR policies including payroll reporting, managing discipline and employee relations
- Ensure that stock levels at all company owned locations are maintained at optimum levels
- Ensure that stock reconciliation is completed on a daily basis and any discrepancies are investigated and highlighted to the Direct department
- Manage product allocations in all terminal locations as agreed by the Supply Department
KPI’s & Reporting
- Produce & review the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) on a monthly basis
- Ensure that haulage contractors deliver on time within agreed KPI’s standards
- Meet with haulage contractors on a monthly basis to review KPI’s, discuss daily operations and address any issues
- Use IT systems to manage stock levels, delivery times and transport costs
- Use all information systems to evaluate current performance and take corrective action where necessary
Experience and Knowledge
- Work Experience and Qualifications – A proven track record and experience of at least three years in a transport / logistics or similar role with demonstrable evidence of successful delivery of results. A relevant 3rd level qualification in a technical or engineering or logistics area or its equivalent in experience is desirable
- IT – Extensive knowledge of IT & ERP systems with strong excel skills
- Transportation— Knowledge of principles and methods for moving goods by or road including the relative costs and benefits
- Administration and Management – Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique and coordination of people and resources
- Business Acumen – Understands business principles and language, including the fundamentals of finance and profitability. Uses this understanding to establish clear priorities for actions and to increase the performance and profitability of the TOP Oil businesses
- Customer and Personal Service — Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction
- Committed, enthusiastic and energetic, the Transport Manager will have the drive, initiative and focus required in this busy diverse role. A heads up person, you will always be alert to your own performance and to the systems you work with and will analyse and consider what you could do to make improvements or take corrective action
- A strong relationship builder who is able to use their excellent interpersonal and coaching skills to develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintain them over time
- Providing guidance and direction to direct reports, including setting SMART performance objectives and monitoring performance
- A resilient, highly motivated self-starter whose work style is calm and co-operative, the Transport Manager will operate in a multi-task environment with deadlines and will be able to challenge themselves to exceed standards, striving for best in class. They are not easily deterred when obstacles or delays are encountered, are organised and unflappable with a strong work ethic
- Attention to detail and accuracy are your touchstone
Skills and Abilities
The Transport Manager will possess all of the following attributes:
- Communications – A confident communicator with the ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally, both formally and informally. A skilled active, empathetic listener, you are able to give full attention to what others are saying and take the time to understand the points being made.
- Judgment and Decision Making – A decisive and effective decision maker and problem solver with sound judgement who is able to consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions in order to choose the most appropriate one and who makes decisions based on both insight and relevant data.
- Management of Human Resources – Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work. Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself and other individuals to make improvements or take corrective action
- Problem Sensitivity — The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Time Management – Managing one’s own time and the time of others productively.
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION MAY BE AMENDED AND ADDITIONAL TASKS AND DUTIES ADDED FROM TIME TO TIME
To apply send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org