Dublin Depot Manager
Title: Depot Manager
Reporting to: Manager Business Operations
Regional Manager on Credit and Sales
Primary Purpose of the Role: This role will carry responsibility for achievement of the budgeted volume and contribution. The successful candidate will be responsible for the management of the sales team, drivers, telesales centre and overseeing all day to day depot operations, involvement in and management of credit control.
Main Duties/ Responsibilities
Manage staff to ensure that they are adequately trained and capable of performing their roles by:
- Fostering an atmosphere where the staff feel comfortable in approaching you about concerns or ideas that they might have.
- Maintaining a proper level of discipline and adhering to employee relation’s procedures.
- Making the staff feel that they are part of a team and that their efforts on behalf of the company are appreciated.
- Identifying areas where training is needed and notifying these to management so that training can be organised e.g. JDE training, phone skills, process training
- Working closely with the drivers to ensure smooth running the depot deliveries
- Keeping the Business Support Manager aware of any issues as they arise
- Meeting with your office staff and drivers regularly to review all matters.
Trucks and Drivers
Ensure that all plant and trucks are in good and safe working order by:
- Ensuring that drivers show due care for their vehicles.
- Presenting, where necessary, plant and machinery for any safety checks that may be required.
- Ensuring that the trucks are clean and in a presentable condition and that they conform to the image that the company wishes to portray.
- Implementing preventative maintenance schedules where necessary as directed.
- Ensuring daily dips are completed by drivers and reconciliation is completed properly on a daily basis
- Monitoring overtime hours worked to ensure it is necessary and to relate any queries to the Regional Manager
- To review the routing schedules to ensure that sensible and structured routes are planned for drivers
- Arranging cover for the drivers due to increased workload or illness
Assist maximising the level of sales by:
- Maintaining good relations with existing customers.
- Working with office staff to ensure that as many calls as possible are converted to sales.
- Working with the Regional Manager to ensure that domestic pricing in the depot is up to date and in line with new policy (i.e. price breaks)
- Effecting deliveries as soon as possible and in a safe and courteous manner.
- Working closely with the Sales Reps. to facilitate the development of commercial business for the depot.
- Identifying potential customers and endeavouring to acquire them.
- Keeping up to date with the competition to ensure that we are competitive in the marketplace.
Keep the level of debtors as low as possible by:
- Attending meetings with the Regional Credit Control Manager and ensuring any action as required is taken.
- Identifying bad payers from the debtor’s list and tackling them before they become a real problem.
- Contacting customers by phone on a regular basis to collect outstanding amounts.
- Encouraging customers to pay by credit card or COD for their domestic delivery.
- Discussing any concerns on customer accounts with the Regional Manager and Regional Credit Manager
Maintain adequate stock levels and records and ensure that losses are kept to a minimum by:
- Monitoring drivers sheets to ensure daily dips are completed by the drivers and highlighting any issues directly to them
- Ensuring depot stocks are reconciled on daily basis
- Investigating any discrepancies and advising the Direct team of any issues
Keep costs to a minimum and within budget by:
- Getting multiple quotes for items of major expense.
- Ensuring that a PO has been completed prior to invoicing for all invoices above €100
- Ensuring invoices are sent to the AP dept. each month
- Advising Accounts Payable on a monthly basis of any accruals
- Signing off and approving marketing, maintenance or operational spend within the depot up €700
- Monitoring P&L’s on a monthly basis to ascertain when and how profit was made during the month
Safety & Security
Ensure staff work in a safe and secure environment and that we conduct our business in a safe manner by:
- Arranging for all cash handling to be carried out in line with company procedures.
- Bringing to the attention of management any deficiencies in safety or security and making recommendations where appropriate.
Process and Procedures
- Working with the Office Team to ensure all processing is closed off correctly and on time.
- To achieve a minimum of 90% pass grade on the process audits.
- To ensure all other procedures are adhered to.
- To investigate discrepancies in figures where necessary.
Relationship with other Jobs
- Develop a very good team spirit with all TOP Direct internal personnel and other Business Unit Staff.
- Work in association with Regional Credit Control Manager.
- Operate, at all times, in a customer friendly and supportive way with all internal customers.
Experience and Knowledge
- Work Experience and Qualifications – A proven track record and experience in a management or role with demonstrable evidence of successful delivery of results. A relevant 3rd level qualification or its equivalent in management or finance or sales or marketing and experience in the Oil Industry are desirable.
- Sales – Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems. Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management – Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Business Acumen – Understands business principles and language, including the fundamentals of finance and profitability. Uses this understanding to establish clear priorities for actions and to increase the performance and profitability of the TOP Oil businesses.
- Customer and Personal Service — Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Committed, enthusiastic and energetic, the Depot Manager will have the drive, initiative and focus required in this busy diverse role.
- A heads up person, you will always be alert to your own performance and to the systems you work with and will analyse and consider what you could do to make improvements or take corrective action.
- A strong relationship builder who is able to use their excellent interpersonal and coaching skills to develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintain them over time.
- Providing guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- A highly motivated self-starter, the Depot Manager will operate in a multi-task environment with deadlines and will be able to challenge themselves to exceed standards, striving for best in class. They are not easily deterred when obstacles or delays are encountered, are organised and unflappable with a strong work ethic.
- Ability to lead, take charge, and offer opinions and direction.
- Attention to detail and accuracy are your touchstone.
Skills and Abilities
The Depot Manager will possess all of the following attributes:
- Communications – A confident communicator with the ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally, both formally and informally. A skilled active, empathetic listener, you are able to give full attention to what others are saying and take the time to understand the points being made.
- Sales – The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences. The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand. Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Judgment and Decision Making – A decisive and effective decision maker and problem solver with sound judgement who is able to consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions in order to choose the most appropriate one and who makes decisions based on both insight and relevant data.
- Management of Personnel Resources – Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work. Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action
- Problem Sensitivity — The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Time Management – Managing one’s own time and the time of others productively.
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION MAY BE AMENDED AND ADDITIONAL TASKS AND DUTIES ADDED FROM TIME TO TIME