Depot Manager – Kilkenny
We are looking for a Depot Manager to join our team. The position is based in Kilkenny in our Depot in the Hebron Industrial Estate. If you have great people management skills, are flexible and willing to go the extra mile while effectively managing your team in a fast paced customer focused environment. If you are also looking for an opportunity to develop your career, then we are looking for you to join our team.
We are a family-owned Irish oil company, dedicated to serving our customers across Ireland. We provide a true end-to-end solution, this means delivering quality from our tank to yours whether in industry, businesses, farms, homes or in your vehicle.
The bedrock of our success is our committed team. People are our passion, this ranges from the people we work with, our customers and those we look forward to serving in the future. We pride ourselves on being personable and on building long term relationships that last. Our DNA lies in the communities we have grown from over the past 200 years, from cities to rural heartlands. It is those communities that are important to us. We are driven each day to offer our customers more than just a product, we offer an experience and a brand that you can trust. For more information visit our linkedin page here
Title: Depot Manager
Reporting to: Business Operations Manager / Regional Manager
Primary Purpose of the Role: To manage the day to day depot activities to achieve greater efficiencies for the business and improve productivity within the team while achieving the budgeted volume & contribution. The depot manager will be ultimately be responsible for the management of the sales team, drivers, contact centre and administration staff, will oversee all day to day depot operations, and will have involvement in and management of credit control.
- Management of the depot team including recruitment, training and performance management
- Fostering an engaged culture where staff feel that they are part of a team and that their efforts on behalf of the company are appreciated
- Developing an atmosphere where the staff feel comfortable in approaching you about concerns or ideas or suggestions that they may have
- Identifying training needs, delivering training where appropriate or ensure that staff are booked onto company training programmes
- Working closely with the drivers to ensure smooth running of depot deliveries
- Holding check in meeting with your staff and drivers regularly
- Adhering to company HR policies including payroll reporting, managing discipline and employee relations
Assist maximising the level of sales by:
- Maintaining good relations with existing customers
- Working with contact centre staff to ensure that resources are managed effectively for inbound call traffic and that calls are proactively handled to develop sales on both inbound and outbound calls
- Working closely with the Regional Sales Manager to optimise all sales leads
- Identifying all potential new customers and having a clear strategy to acquire them
- Ensure that pricing policy is observed
- Working closely with the Sales Reps. to facilitate the development of commercial business
Trucks and Drivers
To make sure that all plant and trucks are in safe working order by:
- Ensuring that drivers show due care for their vehicles
- Implementing preventative maintenance schedules in line with company timelines
- Ensuring that the trucks are clean and in a presentable condition and all times are presenting the Top Oil brand to best advantage
- Approve all overtime hours in advance and ensure that rosters are operated to maximum efficiency to reduce or eliminate the requirement for overtime while complying with OWT requirements
- To review the routing schedules to ensure that efficient, structured routes are planned for drivers and review the routing with depot teams to maximise any synergies across the region
- Roster drivers including arranging cover for planned and unplanned absences such as illness
- Ensuring daily dips are completed by drivers and reconciliation is completed properly on a daily basis
Keep the level of debtors as low as possible by:
- Proactively managing the depot customer base to minimise bad debts
- Attending meetings with the Regional Credit Manager ensuring corrective action is taken
- Identifying bad payers from the debtor’s list and actively addressing them
- Encouraging customers to pay by COD for their domestic delivery or opt for a Budget Plan account
Maintain adequate stock levels at all times by:
- Monitoring drivers End Of Day activities to ensure all procedures are followed
- Ensuring depot stocks are reconciled on daily basis
- Investigating any discrepancies and advising the Direct team of any issues
- Ensure that all stock records are kept up to date and accurate
Manage all costs within the business to keep within budget by:
- Getting multiple quotes for items of major expense
- Ensuring invoices are sent to the AP section of the Accounts Department each month
- Advising Accounts Payable on a monthly basis of any accruals
- Adhering to the approval procedures and limits for any spending as prescribed by the Finance Department including that a PO is raised and completed where required
- Monitoring P&L’s on a monthly basis to ensure all sales, margins and overheads are in line with budget
Safety & Security
Ensure staff work in a safe and secure environment and that we conduct our business in a safe manner by:
- Conduct Depot Induction for all staff including part time and temporary staff
- Ensure that all security procedures are following when an employee leaves the business including recovering equipment such as mobile phones, keys etc. and confirming recovery to HR
- Following all company procedures including operational, security and H&S policies and procedures
- Bringing to the attention of management any deficiencies in safety or security and making recommendations where appropriate
Process and Procedures
- Working with the Office Team to ensure all processing is closed off correctly and on time
- To achieve a minimum of 90% pass grade on the process audits
- To ensure all other Direct procedures are adhered to in full
- To identify and investigate discrepancies and notify the Direct department
Relationship with other Jobs
- Work in association with Direct Staff and the Regional Credit Control Manager and other relevant head office staff such as HR, marketing, credit, finance etc.
- Operate, at all times, in a customer friendly and supportive way with all internal customers
Experience and Knowledge
- Work Experience and Qualifications – A proven track record and experience in a management or similar role with demonstrable evidence of successful delivery of results. A relevant 3rd level qualification or its equivalent in management or finance or sales or marketing and experience in the Oil Industry are desirable.
- Sales – Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems. Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management – Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique and coordination of people and resources.
- Business Acumen – Understands business principles and language, including the fundamentals of finance and profitability. Uses this understanding to establish clear priorities for actions and to increase the performance and profitability of the TOP Oil businesses.
- Customer and Personal Service — Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Committed, enthusiastic and energetic, the Depot Manager will have the drive, initiative and focus required in this busy diverse role. A heads up person, you will always be alert to your own performance and to the systems you work with and will analyse and consider what you could do to make improvements or take corrective action.
- A strong relationship builder who is able to use their excellent interpersonal and coaching skills to develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintain them over time.
- Providing guidance and direction to direct reports, including setting SMART performance objectives and monitoring performance.
- A highly motivated self-starter, the Depot Manager will operate in a multi-task environment with deadlines and will be able to challenge themselves to exceed standards, striving for best in class. They are not easily deterred when obstacles or delays are encountered, are organised and unflappable with a strong work ethic.
- Attention to detail and accuracy are your touchstone.
Skills and Abilities
The Depot Manager will possess all of the following attributes:
- Communications – A confident communicator with the ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally, both formally and informally. A skilled active, empathetic listener, you are able to give full attention to what others are saying and take the time to understand the points being made.
- Sales – The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences. The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand. Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Judgment and Decision Making – A decisive and effective decision maker and problem solver with sound judgement who is able to consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions in order to choose the most appropriate one and who makes decisions based on both insight and relevant data.
- Management of Human Resources – Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work. Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself and other individuals to make improvements or take corrective action
- Problem Sensitivity — The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Time Management – Managing one’s own time and the time of others productively.
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION MAY BE AMENDED AND ADDITIONAL TASKS AND DUTIES ADDED FROM TIME TO TIME
To apply send your CV and cover letter to [email protected]